Tuesday, February 12, 2013

What A Difference...

This last year has been an experience. In so many ways. My personal life, my health, and my job. Life would be boring if it didn't change up on you every once in a while I suppose. I always thought I was of the school of thought, "No surprises, no changes!!" I now think that some change is needed, wanted, and should be expected in life.

With that said...


Almost a year ago today, (Lent is early this year, by a week) I began a journey into a wild and unknown world for me. Traveling a rough path, that I had no idea where it would lead me. The journey has been far from easy, people, situations and just plain bad habits made my life difficult. As humans we like what is easy, the path of least resistance right?  I had hoped for an outcome of less meds for my mental health, but what I found has been a different experience.

I was asked today by my co-worker, "Without having read a book, sum up Paleo for me."  My Gosh. I had no great answer for her. I explained the "No's" to her. I tried to explain the cool stuff about the new food pyramid, but I couldn't get much further than that, because of course we were at work. So Paleo in a Nut Shell... I am going to share my favorite Video again for the beginners:





So what has actually happened for me, to me during this last year?

First off, let me tell you, I have sucked at maintaining a full on 100% Paleo routine. I have had my cheat days, and the last month or so, I have been plagued with the Flu, then a hideous cold that took forever to get over, and I wasn't following my lifestyle much, at all.

The way I approached Paleo was I want to make my health better, but I don't have the money to buy high-end. I bought the best I could with what I had. If it was on sale, even better. I love Cardenas, and Winco. Food4Less even has some amazing Produce sales. I stock up as much as possible when I can on my fresh food items. I separate them out, put them in baggies, and freeze things. A great way to have fresh food for later, with no preservatives or additives. I added coconut oil to my coffee every morning (1TSP) to help boost my metabolism. I switched to Turbinado Sugar, only for my coffee. For cooking or baking, I used Honey or 100% Maple Syrup. More veggies, and nuts to my diet all helped as well.

What did it do??

Let me tell you. I started out last year at 270+ pounds, I wore a size 26 jeans, and couldn't run for a bus. During the course of the last year I dropped to a size 18 jeans, and the last Dr.'s visit I weighted 239 pounds, and I have run for a few buses with no problems.


                                           Before Paleo                        After I Started Paleo                             


                                                               Dec 2011                             Dec 2012




Somethings that I have noticed, are clearer skin (when I am not cheating!) No gas when I am following a strict Paleo routine. Lastly, I didn't notice it until this morning because well, until the last two weeks, I really haven't touched wheat in a year, I haven't had cramps.

That may not seem like a big deal, but I had a total hysterectomy almost 7 years. Because of my age, 34, he left me one ovary, so I wouldn't be stuck taking hormones at such a young age. I still started taking an over the counter all natural one, two years ago, but stop taking it about 3 or four months ago. I never had any symptoms of irritability, or cramping, or worse that made me want to take them in the first place, That was until today. I attribute it to the fact, I have had wheat and refined sugar in the last two weeks.

People have no idea how much processed food affects our bodies. Mentally, hormonally and physically. I have added vitamins to my dietary regimen too, but I do feel better, and more energy as well.

I can't make anyone follow a Paleo Lifestyle. However after taking a 30 day challenge I don't know how anyone can argue that they don't feel better, healthier, and want to continue to make themselves heal. Yes, you heard me, HEAL. We have done so much damage to our bodies with the crap out there, that Paleo really does help heal us from the insides out.

There are so many free resources, recipes, blogs, cheap phone apps, available to all of us. There is no reason that anyone can fail at being Cave person, or as my friends call me, "Dino-girl". LOL

My new goal, is to focus back to being committed to my health. Committed to Paleo. Looking at what I am putting in my body, not just blindly doing it. I want to start to exercise this year.. THERE I SAID IT... I will start to move my body. I won't know what I can really do, or burn, until I make it work. So there is my goal for the next step in MY PALEO Journey. I would always do better with company on my journey. Your path may lead somewhere different than mine, but the journey is always more fun together. Who wants to join me???


Namaste,

Kit Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment